1827 – Foundation of the Law School
1876 – Creation of the Lyceum of Arts and Crafts, in São Paulo
1886 – Creation of the Geographic and Geological Committee of the State of São Paulo (which, since 1946, is USP Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics and Atmospheric Sciences ).
1893 – The Polytechnic School begins its activities. Foundation of the Paulista Museum, incorporated to USP in 1963.
1898 – Creation of the São Paulo Free School of Pharmacy (later to be dismembered into two USP units: The School of Dentistry and the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences).
1901 – Creation of the Piracicaba Operative Agricultural School (current Higher School of Agriculture “Luiz de Queiroz”)
1912 – Establishment of the School of Medicine
1918 – Foundation of the Hygiene Laboratory of São Paulo, which would later become the School of Public Health.
1919 – Creation of the Veterinary Institute (current School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry).
1934 – The University of São Paulo begins its activities with the following units:
- Law School
- School of Medicine
- School of Pharmacy and Dentistry (descended from The Free School of Pharmacy of São Paulo)
- Polytechnic School
- Institute of Education (since 1969, the School of Education)
- School of Philosophy, Sciences and Literature
- Institute of Economic and Commercial Sciences (changed its name only from ICEC to FCEA-School of Economic and Administrative Sciences, in 1940; in 1946 FCEA is officially created; changes its name to the current one of FEA in 1969).
- School of Veterinary Medicine (derived from the Veterinary Institute)
- Higher School of Agriculture “Luiz de Queiroz”
- School of Fine Arts
As institutions spreading activities and learning are the Biological Institute, Butantã Institute, Hygiene Institute, Campinas Agronomic Institute, Astronomic and Geophysical Institute, Paulista Museum, Forest Service and all other state institutions of a technical and scientific nature.
1934 – First session of the University Board of the University of São Paulo, realized on February 17, at the School of Medicine.
1934 – Tenure of the First President of the University of São Paulo, Prof. Dr. Reynaldo Porchat, during the second session of the University Board, realized on June 6th.
1940 – Creation of the Electro-technical and Energy Institute
1941 – Acquisition of an area in the Butantã neighborhood for the installation of the university campus.
1942 – The School of Nursing is created.
1943 – Inauguration of the Hospital das Clínicas of the School of Medicine.
1946 – Incorporation of the School of Economic and Administrative Sciences to USP; creation of the Paulista Institute of Oceanography (current Oceanographic Institute since 1951); creation of the Administration Institute at FEA; incorporation of the Astronomic and Geographic Institute.
1948 – Creation of the School of Architecture and Urbanism, the School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, the School of Pharmacy and Dentistry of Baurú (currently School of Dentistry of Baurú, since 1962) and the Engineering School of São Carlos.
1948 – The Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo is founded. Professor Antonio Candido, of the unit known today as USP’s School of Philosophy, Literature and Human Sciences (FFLCH), is one of the board members of the new institution.
1950 – Students of the Polytechnic School construct the Cadopô (House of the Polytechnic), an important center of political articulation of the student movement.
1951 – The Oceanography Institute is incorporated to USP.
1951 – The School of Nursing of Ribeirão Preto is created.
1955 – The Hospital das Clínicas of the School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto is created as an autonomous entity.
1956 – The University campus receives the name of Armando de Salles Oliveira.
1957 – The reactor of the Atomic Energy Institute of São Paulo begins operations. The institution, which would become the current Ipen (Institute of Energetic and Nuclear Research) was the result of a partnership between USP and the current National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq).
1957 – Creation of the Psychology course at FFCL.
1957 – Creation of USP’s Student Central Union.
1957 – Donation to USP of the Institute of Animal Husbandry and Fernando Costa Livestock Industries , in Pirassununga, which would become today’s School of Animal Husbandry and Food Engineering.
1959 – Creation of the School of Philosophy, Sciences and Literature of Ribeirão Preto, which would only have its activities finalized in 1964. In 1974 the institution was incorporated to USP.
1962 – The Institute of Brazilian Studies is created.
1962 – Creation of FOB (predecessor of the School of Pharmacy and Dentistry of Bauru).
1963 – Creation of the USP Publishing House.
1963 – Creation of the Museum of Contemporary Art and final incorporation of the Paulista Museum to USP.
1964 – The Museum of Art and Archeology is created and later called the Museum of Archeology and Ethnology.
1964 – Creation of the Employees’ Union of the University of São Paulo
1966 – The School of Cultural Communication is founded (would later have its name changed to School of Communication and Arts in 1969), incorporating the School of Dramatic Art.
1967 – The foundation, in Baurú, of the Center for Research and Rehabilitation of Lip and Palate Lesions, which in 1973 becomes the Interdepartmental Center of FOB, and which, since 1998, is known as the well-known Hospital for the Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, the popular Centrinho.
1968 – The federal government proclaims the AI-5, which marks the darkest period of the military regime. USP lives through all the tension and centralizes a part of the student movement of the period. During this year a pitched battle takes place between USP and Mackenzie students.
1969 – The Zoology Museum is created. A university reform takes place and the names of some units are changed while other units are created, such as the Institute of Psychology, emerging from the psychology course maintained by the former School of Philosophy, Literature and Science (FFCL, now to be called the School of Philosophy, Literature and Human Sciences, FFLCH).
1969 – Creation of the Graduate Studies Central Coordination Office, which defines the development of the current graduate framework of the University.
1969 – The School of Physical Education is incorporated to USP.
1969 – Creation of the Municipal College of Chemical Engineering of Lorena (Famenquil). Two years later, the institution changes its name to the School of Chemical Engineering of Lorena (Faenquil).
1970 – Creation of the Physics Institute (IF), the Institute of Mathematics and Statistics (IME) and the Chemistry Institute.
1971 – Creation of the USP Choir and the Institutes of Physics and Chemistry of São Carlos and the Institute of Mathematical Sciences of São Carlos.
1972 – The Polytechnic School builds the first Brazilian computer, called the Ugly Duckling.
1972 – Creation of USP’s Symphonic Orchestra.
1972 – IAG is transformed into a Teaching and Research Unit of USP. IG separates itself from IAG and becomes an autonomous unit.
1973 – Student Alexandre Vanucchi Leme is killed by DOI-Codi policemen.
1976 – Creation of the University Hospital.
1976 – Creation of Association of USP’s teaching staff.
1977 – Beginning of Radio USP’s transmissions.
1979 – Law granting amnesty to political prisoners is sanctioned. Some of USP’s professors and students are among the people returning to Brazil at this time.
1981 – The Integrated Library System is created (Sibi).
1983 – The School of Pharmacy and Dentistry of Ribeirão Preto is dismembered into two units: The School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirão Preto and the School of Dentistry of Ribeirão Preto.
1984 – The campaign for direct elections for the Presidency of the Republic – Diretas Já – mobilizes Brazilian society. Among the leaders of this movement are USP professors and former students, such as Fernando Henrique Cardoso, Ulysses Guimarães, Mário Covas, and others.
1985 – USP newspaper begins its circulation.
1986 – The Institute of Advanced Studies is created.
1988 – Resolution nº 3461, of October 7, 1988, establishes USP’s current Statute.
1988 – Creation of Provost’ Offices for Research; Undergraduate Studies; Graduate Studies; and Cultural and Extramural Activities.
1989 – First edition of the USP magazine is launched.
1990 – The Speech Therapy course is created at the School of Dentistry of Baurú.
1992 – Creation of the School of Economics, Administration and Accounting of Ribeirão Preto and the School of Animal Husbandry and Food Engineering, in Pirassununga.
1992 – Rio de Janeiro hosts Eco-92, at the time the largest world event on the environment. Several USP professors have direct or indirect participation in the meeting.
1993 – The Open University project for Senior Citizens begins its activities.
1994 – Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former USP professor, is elected President of the Republic.
1995 – USP News Agency begins its activities.
1997 – USP launches the first version of its official site, www.usp.br
1999 – Creation of the USP Human Rights Award.
2002 – The calf Marcolino, first animal cloned from adult cells, is bred at USP.
2004 – The Institute of International Relations is created.
2005 – Inauguration of the USP Leste campus and the School of Arts, Sciences and Humanities.
2006 – Dissolution of Faenquil and consequent creation of the School of Engineering of Lorena, incorporated into USP.
2007 – Creation of the Ribeirão Preto Law School and the School of Physical Education and Sports of Ribeirão Preto.
With information from the book: USP’s Space: present and future, by Maria Adélia Aparecida de Souza.